SEO strategies and tips vary from one SEO blog to the next. Regardless, the more SEO strategies you can incorporate into your internet marketing efforts, the better. Our expert team of SEO marketers gathered insights from around the blogosphere to help you optimize keywords and generate organic search traffic:
1. Always keep the reader in mind when creating content. Try to fight the urge to include as many keywords into your article. Search engines crawlers can smell articles that wreak of too keyword-dense blog articles a million sites away. Be kind to your reader and speak English, not SEO.
2. Each article should focus on a few keywords or phrases. First define what your blog article is about, then identify SEO 2-3 keywords in-line with the article’s subject matter. If you’re discussing marketing plans, try not to optimize the keyword phrase, business plan. Stay focused.
3. Include keywords in the title tag, URL, alt tags, meta tags and first paragraph. Search crawlers take a multi-dimensional view of an article to decide its relevance to a particular query. A title tag is the article title, the URL can be customized with keywords (edit the permalink in WordPress), alt tags tell search engines and users about a link, meta tags provide an overview of the article and search engine crawlers look at the first paragraph more than the rest of the article.
4. Eliminate excessive verbage from keywords. When creating alt tags, meta tags and URLs, search engines glaze over “filler words,” such as “to,” “the,” “and.” Therefore, it’s not necessary to include them when optimizing keywords. If you’re incorporating an alt tag in an image, instead of writing, “Another marketing and strategies chart,” say, “Marketing Strategies Chart.”
5. Use keyword variations and phrases within a single article. If you’re optimizing the keyword phrase, “internet marketing trends,” using it even four or five times in an article can seem excessive to the reader. Search engines, such as Google, understand the tedium in repeating keywords, so they link similar phrases. For instance, an alternative keyword phrase to optimizing internet marketing could be marketing and internet trends or internet marketing strategies.
6. Have a keyword density between 2 and 4 percent. Keyword density is ratio between keywords and entire site, including URL, images, links, etc. Therefore, use keywords on the sidebar and non-article image and link alt tags. Optimize your site, not just your articles.
7. Use a variety of keyword density tools. Some keyword tools will give you a keyword density of two percent while another will tell you four percent. Use several keyword tools to generate a consensus:
Image by Sachin Ghodke from Stock.Xchng