What does the lady with 30 coupons in the check out line have in common with a Twittering gear head? Both are pro-active in either searching for the best deal or building a digital network of followers. Type A individuals know what they want, and will spend the extra, painstaking time to get there — whether it’s printing digital coupons or Tweeting daily auto tips or sourcing food.
Deal Seekers thrive on savings. Some Deal Seekers flip through the Penny Saver in search of the best deals and some turn to the web to satisfy their deal cravings. They are addicted to FatWallet.com, RetailMeNot.com and Groupon.com in their pursuit for the best deals. Although they might not need a new winter jacket, they could save $25 on a $150 fur coat. That’s $25 savings!
- RetailMeNot.com has coupons for nearly 50,000 retail stores. Moreover, its traffic has skyrocketed from 1.5 million monthly unique users in September 2009 to 5 million in December 2009, according to Quantcast.com
- Entertainment.com users print 198 percent more coupons for casual dining in 2008, according to CNN
- Since launching in November 2007, Gilt Group (a luxury discount site) membership has grown to 1.3 million registered users in the US, along with 200,000 in their fifth month in Japan.
Brand Profile: Deal Catcher, RetailMeNot, Gilt Group
Digital Influence Builders
Top bloggers and social network users spend countless hours building digital personas. Twitter, Facebook, WordPress, LinkedIn and other digital platforms are venues to build their digital identities and networks. They are the gearheads dishing out daily auto advice on Twitter and the blogging fashionistas jabbing celebrity fashion faux pas. Regardless of the content, Digital Influence Builders actively build networks of readers and users by generating consistent, unique content.
- Celebrity blogger, Perez Hilton has 1.8 million followers on Twitter
- Marketing guru and blogger, Seth Godin, receives nearly 310k unique monthly visits, according to Quantcast.com
Brand Profile: Twitter, WordPress, LinkedIn
Informed-Eaters are an emerging class of foodies and source-conscious consumers. They take an active role in sourcing and finding high-quality food. They check out Yelp and Urban Spoon to find the best local restaurants. They also love organic, hormone-free, locally-sourced food. Informed-Eaters support local farmers market because both take a health and eco-conscious view of the world.
- There are approximately 5,000 farmers markets in the U.S. alone, reaching over $1 billion in sales, according to the Department of Agriculture
- The number of small farms increased 20% between 2002-2008, to 1.2 million, reports the Department of Agriculture
- Yelp has an average of 7.2 million monthly unique visitors, according to Quantcast.com
- There are over 100 diet-related iPhone apps
Brand Profile: Trader Joe’s, Locavore Movement, Yelp
Control RX — The Control RX trend is about actively pursing a healthier lifestyle — whether it’s the Wii Fit or joining the “locavore” movement. However, Control RX isn’t limited to health. Determination — to eat healthy, or build an influential digital network or scour the web to find the best deals — ties this group of Deal Seekers, Digital Influence Builders and Informed-Eaters together. All Type A segments thrive on exploration and discovery.
Read all of our psychographic trends: